When one reaches 70 years old, one can rightly look back on his/her life and accomplishments with satisfaction and pride. But is the same true for a country? Israel reaching 70 is an incredible achievement; perhaps even more so when thinking that while 70 is considered young for a State. From Ben-Gurion to Wonder Woman, looking back on the first seven decades of Israel's Statehood, we reflect on its achievements, challenges, and opportunities. Our friends at ISRAEL21c have created a vibrant video timeline to watch and share in celebration of יוֹם הָעַצְמָאוּת (Yom Ha’atzmaut) – Israel's Independence Day.
70 Years in 165 Seconds
- What resonated with you and why?
- What surprised you?
- Was there anything you felt was missing and/or unnecessary?
- What are your hopes for Israel's accomplishments in the next decade?
- Choose an event from the video that resonated with you. Search for an image and additional information that relates to the event. Why did you choose this event? What is something you want others to know about it?
- Looking at the ISRAEL21c video timeline, place the events into the following themes: politics, science and technology, arts and culture, sports and leisure, food and health. What theme(s) would you hope to see added in the coming decade?
- In small groups, choose one event per decade from the ISRAEL21c video timeline. Which did you choose and why? Looking at your seven events, which stories do they tell of Israel’s history?