Israelis are going to the polls for the third time in less than a year. Following elections last April and September, the current Prime Minister, Benjamin Netanyahu (the equivalent to the President in other countries) was not successful in forming a coalition of parties that would give him the majority and therefore, the power to run a government. When this happens, parliamentary governments call for new elections, and on March 2, Israelis will return to the polls. Through these person-on-the-street conversations, learn about some of the issues important to Israeli voters.
Israelis on Israeli Elections
Questions to Consider
- What issues are raised by people in the video? Did any of these topics surprise you or make you want to learn more about the issue?
- Which people in the video did you empathize with? Who most surprised you? And who did you disagree with?
- How are the issues that were raised similar to or different from issues North American voters might raise?
- Is it important for North Americans to pay attention to Israeli elections? Why or why not?
- Now that you have explored the issues, are you more likely to follow the results in Israel’s election?
- Are elections something that are discussed in your home (for example, the upcoming U.S. election in 2020)?
- What issues are important to you? When you vote for any kind of leader (school elections, national elections, etc.), what are some of the criteria that inform who you support?